So I want to start hiking more than I currently do, which means thinking about what products would be better to have than the ones I currently carry. I’d heard LUSH makes some great stuff so I decided to swing in there.
Coincidentally (or not) the items that LUSH carries will also be fantastic to pack for Antarctica. In fact, I completely redid my Antarctica packing list with LUSH cosmetics after my visit to the store. Why? I can replace most of my toiletries with solid bars. You know, as in things that WON’T SPILL in a suitcase, aren’t liquids so they can go in my carry-on without worry, and are more lightweight in most cases than their competitors so I save on that (although USAP did increase the weight limit a little for this season!).
I’ll be bringing all of the following in a SOLID form!:
- Toothy Tabs – Miles of Smiles, Oral Pleasure, and Bling
- They’re toothpaste in a solid form. It looks like a small mint you chew between your teeth before inserting a wet toothbrush
- Mouthwash Tabs – Crème de Menthe and Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster
- Like the Toothy Tabs, except in mouthwash form! Who would have ever thought I could find solid mouthwash!
- Body Wash/Soap – Respect Your Elders, Sea Vegetable, and Sultana of Soap
- The clerk told me one chunk “this” size (sorry, didn’t take a photo) will last her 2 months so I’m going to get three chunks “that” size
- Face Wash – Coalface or that other one whose name I can’t remember
- Coalface is a black bar of soap/coal to use on your face
- The “other” is pale pink
- Body Moisturizers – Peace
- They melt at body temperature.
- Note: the Wiccy Magic bar is banned in NZ because they don’t like the beans used in it.
- Face Serum – Full of Grace
- It’s the same as the body bars, but meant for your face
- Deodorant – Aromaco
- It’s bar and a hippy patchouli scent but hey, it’s a solid! They have one called T’eo that smells nice but it’s more powdery and I’m worried about durability
- Note: it dries out SUPER fast in Antarctica so I’ve mostly given up on it.
- Powders – The Guv’ner, No Drought, and Silky Underwear
- Powder deodorants for all my body’s nooks and crannies and hair (No Drought is a dry shampoo)… also helps with chafing
- Shampoo – Smuggler’s Soul and Copperhead
- Solid shampoo bars! Each one will last for 80 washes which means I in no way need two of them but I will bring two anyway so I can mix it up. Or in case I squash one.
- Conditioner – Jungle and Sugar Daddy-O
- See blurb for shampoo.
- Perfume – Smuggler’s Soul, All Good Things, Sikkim Girls
- Yes! Even solid perfume! It comes in like a lipbalm tin and you rub in anywhere you would have sprayed a perfume
- Lip Balm – Rose Lollipop and Honey Trap
- Of course these are solids but I wanted to list them all the same. LUSH has lip scrubs too but Stacy (my sister) already made me a huge locking-lid jar of lip scrub that will last me the next 2 years
Other – None of the below are solids but I fell in love with them at LUSH all the same
- It’s a multi-purpose balm that can be used about anywhere on the body for chafing or moisture
- A cream makeup-remover
- H’Suan Wen Hua
- Hair mask/treatment
- Shaving cream!
- SO MUCH LOTION
- Various scents.
Many of LUSH’s products I list above are sold without any packaging to keep them safe so I’m also buying 10 square metal tins and 5 ellipse metal tins from them to keep all the bars safe in my suitcase and toiletry caddy. I’ve never spoiled my skin/body this much before but in a dessert in the middle of an isolated area I think it’ll be nice to have a break from mundane. They also have bath bombs but for the shower… I don’t want to have TOO many “Hollywood” showers but I might bring a handful 😀
Hopefully me posting this list will help other Antarctica hopefuls save some weight and potential-spillage in their own luggage!